land registry

How do I transfer home into my name?

My mother has left her house to me in her will. Even though my stepfather died about six years ago, the house is still registered in their joint names. Will this be an issue and what should I do?

Can the freeholder charge me for a loft extension?

I own the lease of a top-floor flat in a Victorian building which is split into three properties, and I would now like to convert the loft area above. The freeholder wants to charge us up to 15 per cent of the increased value of the property - can he do this?