Foot Anstey LLP

Can we make our father leave us a share of his home?

My parents own a house in joint names. My mother wants me and my brother to inherit the house upon their deaths but my father wants to leave the house, or half of it, to other relatives. Is there anything we can do to make him leave a share to us?

Who is to blame for the Japanese knotweed?

We have just noticed Japanese knotweed at the end of our new garden. This was not mentioned in the survey or in the seller’s questionnaire. Can we make a claim against the surveyor or previous owner?

Whose responsibility is the overgrown hedge and broken

A developer who went bust owns the access paths to new houses built in front of our home. The hedge on his land is wildly overgrown, overrun by rats and there is also a broken down fence. Who should maintain this area now – the residents of the new houses or the council?

Vault under our property could add value

We have a vault under our house which would mean excavation for a basement conversion would not be required. The vault is not on our title deeds and an estate agent has told us to sort out the paperwork before we sell. What do we need to do?

Do buyers have a right to early access?

We are selling our run-down family home to pay the fees for our mother’s care home. The buyers know the house will be empty soon and even though we have not exchanged contracts they want access for their workmen. What are our options?

Can we gain early access to a property we are buying?

We are buying a property in a pretty bad state and it would be really helpful if we could get into the place to do some of the work while we still have the flat we are renting. What can we do to gain early access?