Was the council told about your boiler?

Our property lawyer Fiona McNulty answers your questions
Click to follow
Legal cartoon
© Merrily Harpur
Question: I am selling my house and the buyer's solicitors are now asking for a building regulation compliance certificate in respect of a new boiler I had fitted about 18 months ago. I do not know what they mean —a reputable local firm fitted the boiler — what is this all about? Can you advise?

Answer: Following the installation of a new gas appliance, building regulations in England and Wales require that the installation must be notified to the local authority, which then issues a building regulation compliance certificate. The Gas Safe-registered engineer who completed the installation should notify the local authority within 30 days but if that engineer fails to do so then it is the property owner who may be the subject of enforcement action.

A building regulation compliance certificate confirms that work detailed in the document has been carried out by a Gas Safe-registered engineer or business, and that the work has been carried out in accordance with the gas safety (installation and use) regulations.

The Gas Safe Register is concerned with safety. Remember that if gas appliances are not fitted properly and are not maintained or serviced regularly, those appliances can cause gas leaks or even carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Gas Safe Register is the official list of gas engineers who are registered to work legally and safely and are qualified to work on gas boilers and other gas appliances. It is a legal requirement for anyone carrying out work with gas to be registered with the Gas Safe Register. If the local firm which fitted your boiler failed to notify the local authority of the installation, or no longer exists, offer to provide your buyer

What's your problem?

If you have a question for Fiona McNulty, email legalsolutions@standard.co.uk. We regret that questions cannot be answered individually.

Fiona is a partner in the residential real estate team at Thring LLP (www.thrings.com).

These answers can only be a very brief commentary on the issues raised and should not be relied on as legal advice. No liability is accepted for such reliance. If you have similar issues, you should obtain advice from a solicitor.

Follow us on Twitter @HomesProperty, Facebook and Instagram