Tropical is topical. Sultry, steaming jungles are in, with jewelled birds, exotic animals, glittering insects — and not a care for geographical or biological accuracy. The colours to use are emerald, lime, orange, turquoise and coral for an effect that's bright, fun, fabulous — and an instant lift for the gloom of a beige room.
1. Louise Cunningham's Exotic Birds print with ash box frame and white mount, 55cm by 42cm, £63.29 from easyart.com (0845 1662 7328).
2. Parrots print cotton cushion, 45cm square, £24.99, from cargohomeshop.com (0844 848 3300).
3. Tropical Zingy Palm print pouf, 65cm by 65cm by 30cm deep, £275, digitally printed on cotton canvas; cushions, also in Topical Zingy Palm print, £75 each, from Suzanne Goodwin (077 6628 3695; suzannegoodwin.com).
4. Tropical Toucan cupboard knobs in moulded resin, £4.99 each (also available as frogs) from candyqueendesigns.co.uk (0779 144 3010).
5. Manuel Canovas plain fabrics (in fans), top left, Nura, turquoise; middle left, Nura, aqua; middle right, Nura, menthe, and bottom right, Nura, lagon, all 140cm wide and £35 a metre. Background is Serendip, nuit, 134cm wide and £80 a metre, all 100 per cent cotton available from Colefax and Fowler (colefax.com; manuelcanovas.com).
6. Tropical Crocodile dimmer light switch (turn the croc), £24.99 from candyqueendesigns.co.uk.
7. Parrot table lamp, £40, from Debenhams (debenhams.com).
8. Leaf embroidered cushion, £17; Stripe velvet cushion, £17. Both from Isme (isme.com; 0844 811 8112).
9. Queens Parrots Paradise Mug, £5, from cargohomeshop.com (0844 848 3300).
10. Gurney Pitta fabric scultpure £380 (12cm high) from abigail-brown.co.uk.