* Safe designs that fit in with the local area will appeal to more buyers and cause fewer problems with the neighbours.
* Extra bedrooms and larger kitchens will add more value than wacky schemes for basement pools or cinema rooms.
* Winning planning permission can take a long time. Councils should decide simple applications within eight weeks but many often miss this target. If your plan is controversial it could take months or even years.
* Verify the list of local requirements each planning authority can require. Visit planningportal.gov.uk to find information on different areas.
* Take pre-application advice from your local council before considering applying for planning consent. They will be able to give you a good idea of your chances of success.
* Also discuss matters with your neighbours to gauge the amount of local opposition you will face.
* Going for planning permission is a gamble. If refused you will have wasted time and money.
* The value of planning permission will be even greater once a new levy is introduced over the next two years.
Read how selling your home with planning consent could be the key to a quick sale.