Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
3 ripe peaches, halved and stoned
250g halloumi cheese
2 tbsp groundnut oil
3 red or white chicory, quartered lengthways
1 pack of salad onions, trimmed and cut diagonally into 2cm lengths
For the chilli dressing
1 cherry bomb chilli, deseeded and finely chopped, or a standard red chilli
20g pack fresh coriander, roughly chopped
5 tbsp Japanese rice vinegar
2 tbsp clear honey
1. Make the chilli dressing by mixing the chilli, coriander, rice vinegar and honey in a small jug.
2. Cut each peach half into five wedges. Pat the cheese dry on kitchen paper, then cut into thin slices using a small sharp knife.
3. Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan or wok and fry the cheese for 30 seconds on each side until lightly coloured. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
4. Add the chicory and salad onions and fry quickly over a high heat, stirring for 1-2 minutes, until beginning to colour. Spoon onto some kitchen paper and keep warm.
5. Heat the remaining oil in the pan, add the peach wedges, then fry for one minute on each side until slightly softened.
6. Toss all the ingredients together in a warm salad bowl. Pour the chilli dressing over and serve with a seeded bread.
The dressing will keep for several days in the fridge. Add the coriander just before serving to keep its fresh green colour. Substitute the peaches with nectarines, mango or halved grapes, if you prefer. Chop chillies by either holding by the stalk only, or with disposable gloves on, to prevent the fiery oil coming into contact with your skin.
Recipe provided by
More than 5,000 recipes can be downloaded from Waitrose.com