* 1.5 litres pints gluten-free vegetable stock
* 2 tbsp gluten-free tamari
* 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
* 2.5-cm/1-inch piece ginger, thinly sliced
* 1 cinnamon stick
* 1 bay leaf
* 1 medium carrot, thinly shredded
* 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
* 150g vermicelli rice noodles
* 85g button mushrooms, sliced
* 115g or 4 oz beansprouts
* 4 spring onions, thinly sliced diagonally
* 3 tbsp chopped coriander
* small handful of basil leaves
* chopped red chillies,
* lime wedges and gluten-free tamari, to serve
1. Place the stock in a large pan with the tamari, garlic, ginger, cinnamon and bay leaf. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
2. Add the carrot and fennel and simmer for one minute. Add the noodles and simmer for a further four minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms, beansprouts and spring onions and return to the boil.
4. Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with coriander and basil leaves. Serve with chillies, lime wedges and tamari to season at the table.
Recipe adapted from: Wheat Gluten & Dairy free are part of Parragon Books range of Love Food cookbooks. Visit www.parragon.com/lovefood