* 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
* 1 tbsp (14g) coconut oil
* 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil
* 2 tbsp (20g) diced white onion
* 4 cups (280g) diced, de-stemmed kale
* 1 tbsp (8g) minced garlic
* 4 cups (940ml) chicken broth
* 4 cups (940ml) water
* 2 tbsp (30ml) white balsamic vinegar
* 1 tsp sea salt
* 1 tsp dried oregano
* 1 tsp dried basil
* 2 cups (300g) halved cherry tomatoes
* 1½ cups (278g) cooked quinoa
For each sandwich:
* 2 slices fresh bread
* 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
* 1 slice provolone cheese
* ⅓ cup (35g) grated parmesan cheese
1. To make the soup: bring the water in a medium pot to a boil over high heat, add the chicken breast, and cook for 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
2. Remove the chicken from the water and let cool for 10 minutes before shredding with a fork or by hand.
3. In a large stockpot over medium heat, melt the coconut oil, and then add the olive oil, onion, kale, and garlic. Sauté for approximately six minutes, until the onion is slightly browned.
4. Add the shredded chicken, broth, water, vinegar, salt, oregano, basil, tomatoes, and quinoa. Stir to combine. Simmer for 30 minutes, to soften the kale and let the flavors meld.
5. To make the sandwich: spread the butter on the outside of each slice of bread. Place one slice of bread, buttered side down, in a medium skillet. Place the provolone cheese on top, spread the parmesan over the cheese, then top with the other slice of bread, buttered side up.
6. Cook over medium heat for about six minutes, flipping halfway through, until the bread is browned on both sides and the cheese is melted. Serve with the soup.
More from Superfoods at every meal:
Extract taken from Superfoods at Every Meal by Kelly Pfeiffer, published by Fair Winds Press