Preparation time: 15–20 minutes
Chill time: in 2-3 hours
* 225g trout fillets
* 175g smoked trout, finely sliced
* 150g cream cheese
* 1 tbsp crème fraîche
* 1 tbsp horseradish sauce
* grated rind of 1 lemon
* 2 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
* 1 tbsp snipped fresh chives
* salt and pepper
* salad leaves and wholemeal toast, to serve
1. Poach the trout fillets in a little water in a frying pan for three to four minutes, or until cooked. Drain well and allow to cool.
2. Line a small loaf tin with clingfilm and then line with the smoked trout, leaving enough to overlap the top.
3. Skin and flake the trout fillets and mix together with the cream cheese, crème
fraîche, horseradish sauce and lemon rind, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Spoon a layer of the trout mixture into the lined tin. Sprinkle over the herbs. Cover with the remaining trout mixture. Fold over the smoked trout edges and cover with clingfilm. Press down and chill in the refrigerator for two to three hours.
5. Turn out of the tin and slice carefully using a sharp knife.
6. Serve immediately, garnished with salad leaves and accompanied by wholemeal toast.
Recipe adapted from The Bistro Cookbook part of Parragon Books’ range of Love Food cookbooks. See parragon.com/lovefood.