Preparation: 15 mins
Cooking: 20 mins
* 6 plum tomatoes
* 3 small courgettes
* Olive oil
* 1 garlic clove, crushed
* A few thyme leaves or oregano sprigs
1. Cut the tomatoes and courgettes in rounds a little thicker than a pound coin, and keep them in a single layer so that they don’t go soggy.
2. Heat the oven to 190°C (gas mark 5). Oil a large,
oven proof dish, or four small dishes (individual terracotta tapas dishes are ideal) generously. Sprinkle the courgette with salt and leave for at least 10 minutes. Pat dry.
3. In a bowl, mix the courgette with one tablespoon of olive oil, the garlic and thyme or oregano.
4. Arrange the tomatoes and courgettes in the dish or dishes as overlapping slices in tight concentric circles, bearing in mind that they will shrink when they cook. Drizzle over a little more oil and cook for about 20 minutes until browned.
TIP: This is a very simple gratin with no breadcrumb topping and is delicious to eat with roast lamb or just about any simply cooked meat.