* 1 medium-sized sweet potato, sliced into rounds 5 mm (¼ inch) thick
* 2 tbsp rice bran oil
* 1 tsp caraway seeds
* 2 dill pickles, finely chopped
* 3 tbs roughly chopped mint leaves
* 1 large red chilli, finely chopped
* 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
* 60 ml (¼ cup) extra virgin olive oil
* 1 tsp caster sugar
1. Preheat the barbecue grill to medium. Put the sweet potato, rice bran oil and caraway seeds in a bowl and toss to coat the sweet potato well.
2. Tumble the sweet potato over the grill, then use tongs to spread them out so they don’t overlap. Cook for 8–10 minutes on each side, or until caramelised and tender.
3. Place the hot sweet potato in a bowl. Add the dill pickles, mint and chilli.
4. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, olive oil and sugar, then drizzle the mixture over the sweet potatoes, gently stirring to combine. Set aside for 30 minutes for the flavours to infuse.
5. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve.
More from Fired Up Vegetarian:
Fired Up Vegetarian by Ross Dobson (£14.99) is published by Murdoch Books. Photographer: Brett Stevens