Prep: 10 mins
Marinating time: 1 hr
Cooking time: 20 mins
* 300g poussin (or chicken thighs)
* the juice of 1 lime
For the marinade
* ½ g saffron
* 200g Greek yoghurt
* 10g cumin powder
* 15g garam masala
* 30g ginger & garlic paste
* 3 chopped green chillies
* 15g vegetable oil
* salt (to taste)
1. Cut chicken in halves and remove skin. If using chicken thighs, cut deep incisions into each thigh with a knife.
2. Mix all your marinade ingredients together. Apply over the chicken, cover and leave in the fridge for an hour.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 180oC, place the chicken in the centre and cook for approximately 15 minutes.
4. Baste the chicken applying butter or oil at regular intervals while cooking.
5. Check the thickest part towards the bone is fully cooked before serving. Once cooked, remove the chicken from the oven, apply a knob of butter and finish with a generous squeeze of lime juice.
Vishnu Natarajan, Chef at Carom in Soho says:
“This is not the normal red-coloured tandoori chicken that you find most places. It should be a yellowish colour due to the saffron, with golden brown marks obtained from roasting. Personally I love to have it with a bit of curry – presented on a bed of curry in a serving dish with the tandoori chicken on top to bring all the senses together: colours for eyes, flavours, temperatures, textures and finally the taste to remember”
100 Wardour Street, London, W1F 0TN 020 7314 4002 www.caromsoho.com