Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
Makes: 12 fritters
* 100g self-raising flour
* 150ml semi-skimmed milk
* 2 eggs, separated
* pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
* 10g curly parsley, finely chopped
* 250g sweetcorn
* 4 rashers smoked bacon
* 4 tsp sunflower oil, for frying
For the guacamole
* 1 ripe avocado, halved, stoned, peeled and chopped
* juice of 1/2 lemon
* 1 tbsp mayonnaise
1. Sift the flour with a pinch of salt into a large mixing bowl. Pour the milk into a jug then add the egg yolks, chilli flakes if using, and parsley. Mix well. Gradually add the egg mixture to the flour, whisking until smooth.
2. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then fold into the batter along with the sweetcorn. Leave the batter to stand while you make the guacamole.
3. Using a fork, mash the avocado with the lemon juice, mayonnaise and seasoning until smooth and creamy. Set aside while you grill the bacon on a medium heat for three to four minutes until crisp.
4. Meanwhile, heat one teaspoon of oil in a frying pan. Ladle spoonfuls of the batter into the pan to make individual fritters about 10cm in diameter. Cook in batches of three.
5. Fry the fritters for three to four minutes on each side, until golden brown, then keep warm while you cook the remaining batches. Cut the bacon rashers in half and sandwich between three fritters, to make a stack, then repeat. Serve topped with a generous dollop of guacamole.
Any leftover fritters can be cooled, then frozen for enjoying another day.
Recipe provided by
More than 5,000 recipes can be downloaded from Waitrose.com