* 3 large orange sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
* 3 large carrots, roughly chopped
* 1.5–2 litres vegetable stock or chicken stock
* 2 garlic cloves, peeled
* 2 handfuls of toasted cashew nuts
* sour cream, crème fraîche or plain yoghurt, to serve
* extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling (optional)
1. Put the sweet potato and carrot in a stockpot or large saucepan and cover with the stock. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the liquid has reduced slightly.
2. Leave to cool for five minutes, then transfer to a blender, one ladleful at a time. Add the garlic and most of the cashews, reserving some nuts to garnish the soup.
3. Blend until smooth, then season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Gently reheat the soup and ladle into bowls. Top with a dollop of sour cream, crème fraîche or yoghurt and the reserved cashews. Serve with an extra sprinkling of black pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil if desired.
More from Petite Kitchen:
My Petite Kitchen Cookbook by Eleanor Ozich (Murdoch Books £16.99). Photography: Eleanor Ozich