Preparation: 10 min
Cooking: 25 min
*1 shallot, finely chopped
*250g mushrooms, sliced
*5 tablespoons dry white wine
*1 tablespoon tomato purée
*3 tablespoons olive oil
*4 thick bread slices, crusts removed
*4 fillet steaks
*1 sprig fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1. Melt half the butter in a pan, add the chopped shallot and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the mushrooms, mix well, then add the wine and cook until it has evaporated.
3. Mix the tomato purée with 3 tablespoons warm water, add the mixture to the pan and season lightly with salt. Cover and cook until the sauce is reduced by half.
4. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the slices of bread and cook until brown on both sides. Remove with a fish slice and drain on kitchen paper.
5. Melt the remaining butter in another frying pan, add the steaks and cook for 2–3 minutes on each side. Season lightly with salt.
6. Place a steak on each slice of bread, spoon the mushroom sauce over them and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Recipes adapted from 'The Silver Spoon' new edition (2011), published by Phaidon Press.
To order The Silver Spoon new edition at a special discount price of £23.95 (usually £29.95) including p&p (in the UK) visit www.phaidon.com or call 020 7843 1234, quoting the reference SNE001. Offer valid until 17 February 2012.