Preparation 5 minutes
Cooking 6–9 minutes
* 3 garlic cloves, crushed to a paste with enough salt to season the steaks
* 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
* 4 sirloin steaks, 2.5cm (1in) thick, total weight about 900g (2lb)
* 2 romaine lettuce hearts
* 4 small ciabatta breads
* salt and ground black pepper
For the dressing
* 2 tsp Dijon mustard
* 1 tsp cider or white wine vinegar
* 1 tbsp olive oil
For the hummus
* 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
* 3 tbsp tahini
* 2 garlic cloves, crushed
* juice of 1 lemon
* 2 tbsp water
1. To make the hummus, place the chickpeas in a large bowl and mash to a paste. Add the tahini, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Stir in the water. Mash together well.
2. Make a dressing by mixing the mustard and vinegar in a jar. Add the oil and season to taste. Shake well.
3. Mix the garlic and oil in a dish. Add the steaks and rub the mixture into both surfaces.
4. Preheat the grill (broiler). Cook the steaks on a rack in a grill pan. For rare meat, allow two minutes on one side and three minutes on the second side. For medium steaks, allow four minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate, cover and rest for two minutes.
5. Dress the lettuce. Split each ciabatta and heat on the grill rack for one minute.
Fill with hummus, the steaks and leaves. Cut each in half and serve immediately, just as they are.
More recipes from Best Ever 30-Minute Cookbook
Best Ever 30-Minute Cookbook by Jenni Fleetwood, published by Lorenz Books, £12.99. Reuse content