* 4 cardamom pods (bashed)
* 50g caster sugar
* 50ml milk
* 50ml whisky
* 125g milk chocolate
* 125g dark chocolate
* 300ml double cream
* 175g egg whites
For the meringue topping:
* 350g caster sugar
* 200g egg white
1. Place the milk and cardamom pods in a saucepan and warm on a gentle heat.
2. Break the chocolate into pieces and melt in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Take off the heat once melted.
3. Whip the egg whites and sugar together until soft.
4. Semi whip the double cream so it is thick, but not stiff, and add the strained milk and whisky to the melted chocolate.
5. Fold in the egg whites and sugar, followed by the cream.
6. Pipe into small ramekins or pots and leave to set in the fridge for four hours.
7. To decorate, make a meringue whipping the caster sugar and egg whites togetheuntil they form stiff peaks.
8. Once stiff, pipe into a beehive shape on silicone lined trays and bake in the oven on 110C for one hour.
9. Once cooked place each one on top of the chocolate pots and dust with cocoa powder.
More from The Varsity Hotel:
Recipes provided by Head Chef, Angus Martin, at The Varsity Hotel, Cambridge