* 800g skate
* 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
* 15 peppercorns
* 1 thyme sprig
* 115g rocket (arugula)
* 115g watercress or rocket
* 200g mixed salad leaves
* 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
* finely pared orange rind, to garnish
Fot the dressing
* 2 tbsp grated Asian pear
* 2 tbsp virgin olive oil
* 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
* 2 tbsp crushed garlic
* 2 tsp English (hot) mustard
* 1 tsp dark soy sauce
* salt and ground black pepper
1. Thoroughly rinse the skate in cold water. Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the vinegar, peppercorns and thyme. Reduce the heat so that the water simmers.
2. Add the skate and poach it for 7–10 minutes, or until the flesh is just beginning to come away from the cartilage. Do not overcook. Drain thoroughly.
3. Remove the skate flesh from the cartilage of the wing. Shred the flesh and set it aside.
4. For the dressing, mix the Asian pear, oil, vinegar, garlic, mustard and soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
5. Place the rocket, watercress or rocket, mixed leaves and diced tomatoes in a large serving bowl. Add the shredded skate and toss the ingredients together.
6. Pour the dressing over the salad, toss lightly and garnish with the orange rind.
More recipes from Classic Salads
Classic Salads by Sara Lewis, published by Lorenz Books, £16.99.