Makes around 14 scones
* 85g chilled unsalted butter, cubed, plus extra to grease
* 250g self-raising flour, sifted, plus extra to dust
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 2 tbsp golden caster sugar
* 150ml buttermilk
* 1 medium egg
* A little milk
* Clotted cream and jam, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/gas mark 7.
2. Lightly butter a flat baking tray or cover it with baking parchment.
3. In a large bowl, rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the baking powder and sugar.
4. In a separate bowl, beat together the buttermilk and egg, then make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and use a knife to stir all the ingredients together to make a soft dough.
5. Tip out the dough, lightly knead it on a floured board and roll it out to a 2.5cm thickness
. Stamp out rounds using a 5cm cutter, transfer to the baking tray and brush the tops with milk.
6. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until well-risen and golden. Cool until warm on a wire rack. Serve with clotted cream and jam.