Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
* 700g maris piper potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
* 40g unsalted butter
* 500g salmon fillet
* 250g frozen garden peas
* 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
* 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
* 3 tbsp seasoned flour
* 2 tbsp sunflower oil
1. Cook the potatoes in plenty of boiling water for 15 minutes until tender, then drain thoroughly. Return to the pan and mash with half the butter and seasoning. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, place the salmon in a shallow pan, cover with cold water, bring to the boil and poach for eight to ten minutes until tender and cooked throughout. Drain off the liquid and flake the flesh. Stir gently into the potato.
3. Place the peas in a pan. Boil some water in a kettle, then pour it over the peas and place the pan on the hob to boil. Simmer the peas for one minute, then drain and run under cold water to cool. Blend in a food processor with the vinegar and mint to give a coarse purée. Stir into the fish and potato mixture. Check seasoning.
4. Shape the mixture into eight patties and coat in the flour. Heat the oil with the remaining butter in a shallow non-stick frying pan and fry the fishcakes on both sides for six to eight minutes until golden. Drain on kitchen paper and serve with tartare sauce.
Recipe provided by
More than 5,000 recipes can be downloaded from Waitrose.com