Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes
* 1 medium butternut squash
* 180g pack Romano peppers
* 2 red onions, peeled
* 4 tbsp olive oil
* 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
* 250g halloumi cheese, cut or torn into chunks
* 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
* fresh basil leaves to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Peel the squash, cut in half lengthways and remove the seeds. Cut the flesh into chunks and place in a large roasting tin.
2. Cut the peppers in half, remove the seeds and stalks and cut into chunky pieces. Add them to the roasting tin. Halve the onions, then cut into small wedges and place in the tin. Drizzle the vegetables with the olive oil and coat well. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes or until slightly charred at the edges.
3. Remove the vegetables from the oven and sprinkle with the vinegar. Scatter the cheese over the top and cook for a further 25 minutes or until the halloumi is golden.
4. Scatter the pine nuts and basil leaves over the top and serve piping hot.
* These vegetables generate a lot of steam, so use the biggest roasting tin you have to give them plenty of space. Alternatively, use two smaller tins and swap shelf positions halfway through cooking.
Recipe provided by
More than 5,000 recipes can be downloaded from Waitrose.com