Roast winter squash, red peppers, red onion and sausages
This winter warmer is the perfect family-friendly dish and easy to put together
* 8 large, best-quality sausages
* 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
* 2 medium red onions, peeled and quartered
* 1kg butternut squash, deseeded and cut into wedges about 2.5cm thick
* Leaves from 3 rosemary sprigs
* Olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
2. Put the sausages, peppers, red onions and squash in a large roasting tin.
3. Scatter over the rosemary, along with a fat pinch of salt. Drizzle with two to three tablespoons of olive oil and turn the sausages and vegetables in it until well coated.
4. Roast for about 40 minutes until the sausages are cooked through and the vegetables are tender and browned.
Cooks tip: The sticky, savoury juices at the bottom of the pan are particularly good, so scrape the dish well as you serve up. Serve with mashed potatoes or just good bread.
The Contented Cook by Xanthe Clay, published by Kyle Books, priced £19.99. Photography: Tara Fisher