Serves 6–7 people
*Standard 4.5kg goose
*Salt and black pepper
*Preheat the oven to 220ºC/gas mark 7
1. Remove the lumps of fat from the cavity of the bird and season the whole bird with salt and pepper.
2. Fill the cavity loosely – about three quarters full – with stuffing, prick the skin but not the flesh, and rub the skin with salt and pepper.
3. Weigh the bird after stuffing and allow 15 minutes cooking time for each 450g, plus 20 minutes resting time after cooking.
4. Put the bird on a roasting tray, cover with aluminium foil and place on the bottom shelf of the preheated oven.
5. After 20 minutes cooking, lower the oven temperature to 180°C/gas mark 4. After an hour drain the fat from the tray.
6. For the last 30 minutes cooking time raise the temperature again to 220ºC/gas mark 7 and remove the foil to crisp the skin and allow it to turn golden. Test by inserting a skewer into the thickest part of the thigh. If the juices run clear, the goose is ready.
7. Remove it from the oven and, keeping it warm under foil and tea towels, allow it to rest for 20 minutes before you carve.
To order Sarah Raven’s Garden Cookbook, Sarah Raven’s Complete Christmas and Sarah Raven’s Food for Friends and Family at 30% off plus free p & p visit www.bloomsbury.com/sarahraven or call 01256 302 699 and quote the reference “GLR6KJ” when you place your order.