*600g new potatoes, scrubbed & cut in half, or in quarters if larger
*sunflower or vegetable oil, for frying & roasting
*250g asparagus, trimmed
*splash of sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
*½ tsp smoked paprika
*1 red onion, finely diced
*2 cooking chorizo sausages (200–250g), skinned & meat crumbled
*handful of finely chopped parsley
*splash of white wine vinegar or cider vinegar, if poaching your eggs
*salt and black pepper
1. Heat the oven to 210˚C/Gas 7 or heat a cast-iron griddle pan over a high heat. Put the potatoes in a pan of salted water, bring to a boil and cook for 12–15 minutes, until tender.
2. Drain and lightly crush with a potato masher or fork. While the potatoes are cooking, if you want to poach your eggs, put another pan of water on to heat to a bare simmer (no bubbles).
3. Toss the asparagus in 1 tablespoon of oil in a baking dish. Add a splash of sherry or red wine vinegar, the smoked paprika and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 8–12 minutes (depending on the thickness), until tender.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and cook slowly for 10 minutes to soften without colouring. If it starts to catch, add a splash of water and reduce the heat.
5. Add the chorizo, increase the heat slightly and fry for 4–5 minutes, to cook the chorizo through.
6. Stir in the potatoes and warm through. Stir in the parsley and season to taste.
7. If poaching your eggs, add a good splash of vinegar to the simmering pan of water. Crack the eggs into individual ramekins or small bowls. Use a spoon to swirl the water so it looks like a whirlpool. Gently drop the eggs into the water, one at a time, and poach for 3 minutes. Alternatively, fry the eggs in a little oil to your liking.
8. Sprinkle the eggs with a little extra salt before serving on the potatoes and asparagus.
Riverford Companion: Spring and Summer Cooking With a Veg Box by Guy Watson (Riverford Organic Farmers ) £16.99
MORE RECIPES FROM RIVERFORD COMPANION: