Preparation time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes plus cooling time
* 400g English rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 2cm pieces
* 200g golden caster sugar
* 150g butter, softened
* 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
* 75g self-raising flour
* 1/2 tsp baking powder
* 100g ground almonds
* Grated zest of one small orange, plus 2 tbsp juice
* 25g flaked almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Grease a round 23cm springform cake tin and line its base with baking parchment. Place the rhubarb in a bowl and cover with 50g of the sugar. Leave for 30 minutes while you prepare the rest of the cake.
2. With an electric whisk, beat together the remaining sugar and the butter, then whisk in the eggs. Using a metal spoon, gently fold in the flour, baking powder and ground almonds, then stir in the orange zest and juice.
3. Stir the rhubarb and its sugary juices into the cake mixture and spoon into the prepared tin. Place on a baking tray, sprinkle over the flaked almonds and bake for 25 minutes.
4. Reduce the temperature to 180°C, gas mark 4 and cook for a further 20-25 minutes, or until firm. Allow to cool in the tin for ten minutes.
5. Serve warm or cold, with softly whipped cream or custard.
Cook's tips: any remaining cake can be stored for three to four days.
Recipe provided by
More than 5,000 recipes can be downloaded from Waitrose.com