Serves 4 as a starter
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Cooling time: 30 mins
* 1 medium courgette, stalk removed
* 1/2 firm cantaloupe melon, skin and seeds removed
* 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil pinch of sea salt
* small handful of mint leaves
* 100g feta
For the pickled cherries:
* 50ml red wine vinegar
* 1 tbsp sea salt
* 150ml water
* 100g caster sugar
* 200g cherries, halved and stones removed
1. Place the red wine vinegar, salt, water and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for two minutes, stirring to make sure all the salt and sugar has dissolved.
2. Take off the heat, pour into a bowl or container and leave to cool for five minutes. Add the cherries and leave to cool to room temperature. If making ahead of time, place in the fridge to chill.
3. Use a speed peeler or mandolin to make ribbons along the length of the courgette. Then thinly slice the melon into long strips.
4. Toss the melon in a bowl with the olive oil and a pinch of salt. Spread on a large platter. Sprinkle on the mint, crumble on the feta and scatter the cherries. Drizzle a couple of tablespoons of the pickling liquid over the top.
Feta can be replaced with a creamy burrata or mozzarella. The pickled cherries make a great accompaniment to a cheese board.
The cherries can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge for a few days, where the flavour will intensify.
More cherry recipes from Rachel Khoo:
- Smashed chocolate licorice meringues with whipped cream and cherries
- Crispy skinned duck breast with a cherry sauce and spinach polenta
- Roasted cherry and vanilla mousse millefeuille