Preparation 8 minutes
Cooking 12–17 minutes
* 225g ready-made puff pastry, thawed if frozen
* 175ml ready-made custard
* 2 tbsp icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 2000C/4000F/Gas 6. Roll out the pastry and cut out twelve 13cm (5in) rounds. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with the pastry rounds.
2. Line each pastry round with a circle of baking parchment and some baking beans or uncooked rice.
3. Bake the tarts for 10–15 minutes, or until the pastry is cooked through and golden. Remove the paper and baking beans or rice and set aside to cool.
4. Spoon the custard into the pastry cases and dust with the icing sugar. Place the tarts under a preheated hot grill (broiler) and cook until the sugar caramelises. Remove from the heat and leave to cool before serving.
Fresh custard can be quickly made in the microwave. Mix together 25g custard powder, 15g sugar and 5ml milk in a small bowl and microwave for one minute. Stir and microwave for a further 20–30 seconds to thicken.
More recipes from Best Ever 30-Minute Cookbook
Best Ever 30-Minute Cookbook by Jenni Fleetwood, published by Lorenz Books, £12.99.