The grower: Ross Geach
The development chef: Jack Stein
The combination of white miso and the Iberico ham trimmings taken from the black pig leg served at The Seafood Restaurant gives this dish a magnificently savoury flavour. The lemon confit is a great way of getting acidity into the dish. Brill is not particularly strong in flavour, but its firm texture provides a great base for the small dice of vegetables. The tomatoes are different varieties, a little green, and are cut into concassé. They are added at the very end to give a burst of freshness to cut through the sauce.
* 10g (1/3oz) peas
* 15g (1/2oz) courgette
* 15g (1/2oz) tomatoes, roughly chopped
* 80g (2 1/2oz) brill pieces
* grapeseed oil
* 10g (1/3oz) butter, plus a a knob of butter to cook the ham
* 7g (1/4oz) Iberico ham
* 50ml white miso chicken stock
* 0.7g (1/4oz) confit lemon, finely diced
* samphire to garnish
For the white miso chicken stock:
* 1 litre chicken stock
* 25g (1oz) white miso
For the confit lemon:
* 1 tbsp lemon rind
* 7 tsp lemon juice
* 1 tsp granulated sugar
1. For the white miso chicken stock, warm the chicken stock and then add the white miso and blend.
2. For the confit lemon, place all of the ingredients in a small saucepan and cook at about 75°C/167°F for 30 minutes.
3. To serve, blanch the peas and courgettes for 30 seconds each and put aside, with the tomato concassé.
4. Meanwhile, sauté the brill in grapeseed oil, and finish with a little of the butter, at 45°C (113°F).
5. In another saucepan, add the ham with the knob of butter and cook for two minutes. Add the white miso chicken stock and the vegetables and reheat, then reduce by 10 per cent. To finish, emulsify the last of the butter and add the confit lemon.
6. Lay half the vegetables and some white miso chicken stock on each plate, place the brill on top and garnish with the samphire.
More from Kitchen Garden Experts:
- Sorrel frittata
- Leeks vinaigrette
- Two-way runner beans
- Paris Market and Sugarsnax carrots with ham fat cream and nasturtium