* 1 1/2 tbs olive oil
* 2 medium onions, chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 tsp dried thyme
* 1 tsp ground fennel seed
* pinch of dried sage
* 340g cremini or chestnut mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
* 1/4 cup (60ml) chicken stock, homemade or store-bought
* 425g (1 tin) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
* 410g (1 tin) chopped tomatoes with juice
* 1/2 cup (45g) finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
* salt and freshly ground black pepper
* freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
1. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it starts to sizzle. Add the onion, garlic, thyme, fennel seed, and sage and cook, stirring occasionally, for about eight minutes or until the onion is soft and starting to brown.
2. Stir in the mushrooms and stock and simmer, covered, for five to six minutes or until the mushrooms have shrunk and released their juices.
3. Add the beans, tomatoes, and parsley, then cover and return to a simmer over medium-low heat. Cook for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Serve hot over brown rice or whole wheat pasta, or just in a bowl as a meatless stew. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
More recipes from Kinfolk Table
Hummingbird cake with cream cheese frosting
Extracted from The Kinfolk Table: recipes for small gatherings by Nathan Williams, published by Artisan, £25. Copyright 2013. Photographs by Parker Fitzgerald