* 50ml olive oil
* 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
* ½ a large onion, finely chopped
* ¾ of a fresh chilli, cut into small dice
* 400g cockles and clams
* 400g mussels
* 20 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
* 30ml white wine (e.g. sauvignon blanc)
* 320g tagliatelle
* 1 tsp chopped fresh coriander
* 1 tsp chopped fresh basil
* salt and freshly ground black pepper
* extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, add the garlic and fry gently for one minute. Add the onion and chilli and cook slowly for about three minutes.
2. Add the cockles, clams, mussels, cherry tomatoes and white wine, bring to the boil, then place a lid on the pan and cook until the tomatoes start to break down and the cockles and clams open.
3. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water – add a drop of olive oil to the water, and use a pasta basket if you have one.
4. Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and add it to the frying pan. Add the fresh herbs and season with salt and pepper.
5. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, mill over some freshly cracked pepper and serve from the pan.
Extracted from Michael Caines At Home, published by Century.