Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
* 125g (4½ oz) unsalted butter, diced, plus extra for greasing
* 150g (5½ oz) caster sugar, plus 4 tsp for coating the ramekins
* 125g (4½ oz) dark chocolate, chopped
* 3 large eggs
* 35g (1¼ oz) plain flour icing sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6). Lightly butter four 100ml ramekins, or other individual baking dishes no bigger than 150ml each.
2. Put one teaspoon of caster sugar into each ramekin, and tilt and rotate to coat the bottom and sides evenly.
3. Place the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl and set it over a pan of barely simmering water to melt (see tip below). Set aside.
4. Beat the remaining sugar with the eggs, then mix in the flour. Fold the melted chocolate into the egg mixture. Spoon into the ramekins.
5. Bake for 10–12 minutes or until risen. Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.
Chef's tip: melting chocolate
Put the chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of steaming hot water; the base of the bowl must not touch the water. Allow the chocolate to soften and remove the bowl from the pan of water. Stir the chocolate with a wooden spoon until smooth.
Chocolate must be melted gently because it may scorch. An alternative method is to microwave it, stopping frequently to check progress.
MasterChef Cookery Course, published by DK, £26, dk.com. Also available as an eBook to download from the iBookstore and Amazon Kindle Store.
MasterChef continues on BBC.
For more recipes from MasterChef Cookery course
*Hot Cross Buns