The Great British Bake Off BBC TV series has catapulted its star cook and judge Mary Berry into the culinary spotlight. With nearly 60 years of cooking experience, the Queen of cakes is also a champion of family cooking.
Her just launched Winter Cookbook is a perfectly timed collection of 50 fail-safe recipes, from hearty soups, pies and casseroles to delicious Sunday roasts and comforting puddings.
Marry Berry's hearty shepherd's pie is a winter warmer classic, perfect for the cold months ahead.
Calories per serving: 383
* 750g minced lamb
* 125g mushrooms, sliced
* 2 carrots, diced
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 1 garlic clove, crushed
* 30g plain flour
* 150ml beef stock
* 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
* salt and black pepper
* 750g potatoes
* approx 4 tbsp hot milk
* 30g butter
1. Put the minced lamb into a large frying pan and heat gently until the fat runs. Increase the heat and cook, turning and mashing the meat, until it browns. Using a slotted spoon, lift the lamb out of the pan and spoon off the excess fat.
2. Add the mushrooms, carrots, onion, and garlic to the pan. Cook gently, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes until just beginning to soften.
3. Return the lamb to the frying pan. Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, for about one minute.
4. Add the beef stock and the Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 15–20 minutes until tender. Drain. Add the milk and butter to the potatoes and mash until soft, then season with salt and pepper.
Taste the lamb mixture for seasoning and turn into an ovenproof dish, then spread the potato on top. With a fork, score the potato in a decorative pattern. Cook in a preheated oven at 200°C (180°C fan, Gas 6) for about 20 minutes until the topping is golden and the meat mixture bubbling.
Mary Berry Winter Cookbook eBook, published by DK, priced £6.99, is available to download from the iBookstore and Amazon Kindle Store Reuse content