* 125g soft butter
* 125g self-raising flour
* 125g caster sugar
* 2 tbsp milk
* 2 large eggs
* Finely grated zest of one small lemon
* 125g soft unsalted butter
* 250g icing sugar, sifted
* Juice of one small lemon
* Edible silver balls or glitter to decorate
* Deep 12-hole muffin tin and 12 paper cases
1. Line the muffin tin with the paper cases. Put all the cake ingredients into a bowl, and beat with an electric whisk until evenly combined and smooth.
2. Divide the mixture among the paper cases. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C (160°C fan, Gas 4) for 20–25 minutes until well risen and light golden brown. Transfer the cakes in their cases to a wire rack, and leave to cool.
3. Make the icing: put the butter and half of the icing sugar into a bowl, and beat with an electric whisk until evenly combined and smooth.
4. Add the lemon juice and the remaining icing sugar, and beat again until light and fluffy.
5. Spread the icing over the cold cup cakes, and decorate with silver balls or glitter.
Recipe from Mary Berry's Complete Cookbook, DK, £25, www.dk.com.
More recipes from Mary Berry's Complete Cookbook