Mary Berry's heavenly chocolate cake
One of the UK's best known and most respected cookery writers, Mary Berry, shares her delicious chocolate cake recipe
Cuts into 8 slices (615 cals each)
* 125g butter, plus extra for greasing
* 200g plain dark chocolate, broken into pieces
* 2 tbsp water
* 3 eggs, separated
* 125g caster sugar
* 90g self-raising flour
* 60g ground almonds
* 60g butter
* 30g cocoa powder
* 3 tbsp milk
* 250g icing sugar, sifted
* White chocolate curls to decorate
1. Lightly butter a deep 20cm cake tin and line the bottom with baking parchment.
2. Put the chocolate into a heatproof bowl with the butter and water. Put the bowl over a pan of hot water and heat gently, stirring, until the mixture has melted. Cool.
3. Combine the egg yolks and caster sugar in a large bowl and whisk together with an electric whisk until fluffy and very light in colour. Stir in the cooled chocolate mixture. Carefully fold in the flour and ground almonds.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold into the sponge mixture, gently but thoroughly. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C (160°C fan, Gas 4) for 50 minutes or until well risen and firm to the touch.
5. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for a few minutes, turn out on to a wire rack, and peel off the lining paper. Cool completely.
6. Make the fudge icing: melt the butter in a pan, add the cocoa powder, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the milk and icing sugar. Beat well until smooth. Leave to cool until thickened.
7. Split the cake in half horizontally and sandwich the layers together with half
of the fudge icing. With a palette knife, spread the remaining icing over the top
and sides of the cake. Decorate with white chocolate curls.
Recipe from Mary Berry's Complete Cookbook, DK, £25, www.dk.com.
More recipes from Mary Berry's Complete Cookbook
* Best ever brownies
* Lemon cupcakes with lemon icing
* Roast lamb shoulder with lemon and olives
Revealed: the cost of buying a home in every London borough