Calories per serving: 531
* 30g (1oz) butter
* 1 tbsp sunflower oil
* 1.5kg (3lb) chicken, cut into 8 serving pieces
* 125g (4oz) streaky bacon rashers, cut into strips
* 8 small shallots or pickling onions
* 250g (8oz) button mushrooms
* 30g (1oz) plain flour
* 300ml (1/2 pint) chicken stock
* 600ml (1 pint) red wine
* 1 bouquet garni
* 1 large garlic clove, crushed
* salt and black pepper
* 2 tbsp chopped parsley to garnish
1. Melt the butter with the oil in a large flameproof casserole. Add the chicken and cook for 10–12 minutes until browned all over. Lift out and drain on paper towels.
2. Spoon off any excess fat. Add the bacon, shallots or onions, and mushrooms. Cook over a high heat, stirring, until golden brown.
3. Lift the mixture out of the pan with a slotted spoon and leave to drain thoroughly on paper towels.
4. Add the flour to the pan and cook for three to five minutes, stirring constantly, until lightly browned. Reduce the wine in a separate pan to 300ml. Gradually pour in the stock, then the wine, stirring until smooth.
Return the chicken and the bacon mixture to the casserole. Add the bouquet garni and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook in a preheated oven at 180°C (160°C fan, Gas 4) for 45 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork.
6. Sprinkle the chicken with the chopped parsley and serve hot.
Mary Berry Winter Cookbook eBook, published by DK, priced £6.99, is available to download from the iBookstore and Amazon Kindle Store Reuse content