Lemon drizzle cake
A moist delicious cake with a sugary blanket of sticky icing - it’s very moorish so it won’t be around for long
Makes 1 large cake
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
* 175g unsalted butter
* 175g caster sugar
* Grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
* 120g Rachel’s Low Fat Natural Bio Live Yogurt
* 2 large eggs, beaten
* 175g self raising flour
* 3tbsp caster sugar
* 150g icing sugar, sifted
* Half tbsp water
Equipment needed:Mixing bowl; Spatula; Small saucepan; Cake tin; Skewer; Cooling wire
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Grease and line a round 15cm/6 inch loose bottom cake tin.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.
3. Add the grated zest of lemons and yogurt then add the eggs.
4. Add the flour, mix well and spoon the mixture into the prepared tin, ensure a level surface.
5. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until golden brown or until a skewer comes out clean.
6. Transfer to a cooling wire.
7. In a small saucepan add the juice of the lemons with the remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar and allow to reduce on a high heat. Leave to cool slightly.
8. Using a skewer or cocktail stick prick the cake all over and then pour the lemon sugar syrup all over the top, allow it to soak in.
9. Leave to cool completely before icing.
10. Mix the icing sugar with the water until a runny paste consistency is achieved. Using a spoon drizzle the icing liberally backwards and forwards over the cake.
PER SERVING: 533kcal, Protein 6.6g, Carbohydrates 65.7g, Fat 27.0g, Saturated Fat 16.1g, Fibre 0.8g, Sugar 46.0g, Salt 0.2g
Recipe provided by Rachel's (www.rachelsorganic.co.uk)
Revealed: the London boroughs with the strongest annual house price growth