This salad is also fantastic with lobster, crab or scallops. Instead of the beans, try chickpeas, lentils or any other pulse.
* 32 cooked king prawns, peeled and deveined
* 2 radicchio hearts, leaves separated and torn
* 2 x 400g tins white beans, drained and rinsed
* lemon anchovy dressing
* 6 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
* 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
* sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
* 200ml extra virgin olive oil
* 2 tbsps lemon juice
* 2 handfuls basil leaves, torn
* 2 handfuls mint leaves, finely chopped
* 1 large handful flat-leaf (Italian) parsley leaves, roughly chopped
1. To make the dressing, mash the anchovies, garlic and a little white pepper in a mortar with a pestle. Slowly pound in the olive oil, lemon juice and then, finally, the herbs until you have a thick green slush. Check the seasoning.
2. In a bowl, gently toss the radicchio with one-third of the dressing then arrange the leaves in the centre of a large platter or eight plates.
3. Place the beans, prawns and remaining dressing in the bowl and toss gently. Pile onto the platter or divide among the plates and sprinkle with sea salt and a grind of white pepper.
This salad would go nicely with a wonderful aromatic wine — a very dry riesling works well.
More from Easy Weekends:
Easy Weekends by Neil Perry (Murdoch Books £18.99). Photography: Earl Carter