Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Per 238 cals per serving
* 60g unsalted butter, softened
* 125g caster sugar
* 1 medium egg
* 130g self-raising flour
* 60g ground almonds
* 100ml semi-skimmed milk
* 100g ready-to-roll blue icing
* 50g ready-to-roll white icing
* 50g ready-to-roll red icing
* 2 tbsp strawberry jam
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4.
2. Line a 12-hole cupcake tin with paper cases (we’ve used Sainsbury’s patterned cake cases).
3. Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat until light and fluffy, then whisk in the egg.
4. Mix the flour and ground almonds together in a separate bowl, then combine with the butter mixture. Slowly stir in the milk.
5. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and bake for 20 minutes, test if the cakes are cooked by inserting a skewer into the centre of one of the cupcakes - it should come out clean.
6. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
7. Meanwhile, roll out the blue icing and cut out 12 circles using a six-cm cutter. Roll out the white icing and cut out 48 strips, each measuring 0.75 x 6cm. Roll out the red icing and cut out 48 strips, each measuring 0.5 x 6cm.
8. Once the cakes are cool, brush them with the jam and top each with a blue icing circle. Brush the strips of white icing with a little water and arrange four on each cake. Arrange the red strips on top to resemble a British flag.