Serves 10 to 12
* 2 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
* 3 1/4 cups (460g) all-purpose flour
* 3 bananas
* 2 cups (400g) sugar
* 1 tsp baking soda
* 1 tsp ground cinnamon
* 1 tsp salt
* 3 large eggs, beaten and at room temperature
* 1 1/2 cups (360ml) vegetable oil
* 227g (1 small tin) pineapple chunks
* 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
* 2 1/4 cups (255g) pecans, chopped
For the Frosting
* 454g cream cheese, at room temperature
* 227g unsalted butter, at room temperature
* 908g icing sugar
* 1 tsp
* vanilla extract
1. Position two racks in the upper third and lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease three 9-inch round cake tins with the butter. Dust the tins with 1/4 cup (35g) flour and knock out any excess; set aside.
2. Finely chop the bananas and measure out 2 cups (340g); reserve any leftovers for a different use.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining 3 cups (425g) flour, the sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add the eggs and oil and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in the pineapple, vanilla, and half of the pecans.
4. Divide the batter equally among the prepared tins. Set two tins on the top rack and one on the bottom.
5. Bake, rotating and alternating the cakes halfway through the baking time, for 25 to 30 minutes or until a tester inserted in the centre of the cakes comes out clean.
6. Transfer the cakes to racks and cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then invert them directly onto the racks and cool completely, about one hour.
For the frosting and assembling
1. While the cake cools, beat the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about three minutes. Decrease the speed to low and add the icing sugar and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy, about three minutes.
2. To assemble, spread the frosting between the layers, scattering some of the remaining pecans in between. Continue spreading the frosting on the top and sides of the cake and sprinkle the remaining pecans on top. Serve.
More recipes from Kinfolk Table
Mushroom, tomato and white bean stew
Extracted from The Kinfolk Table: recipes for small gatherings by Nathan Williams, published by Artisan, £25. Copyright 2013. Photographs by Parker Fitzgerald