Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 35 minutes
* 1 butternut squash (weighing about 800g)
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 1 knob of butter
* 6 sage leaves, shredded
* 1 garlic clove, crushed
* 120g shiitake mushrooms
* 500g gnocchi
* Freshly grated Parmesan to serve
1. Heat the oven to 200°C (gas mark 6). Peel the butternut squash and cut it in to half. Scoop out the seeds and fibers. Cut the flesh into 2cm chunks.
2. Put the squash in a large shallow baking tray. Drizzle over the oil and toss chunks until coated, then season. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes until the butternut squash is soft and browned along the edges.
3. Meanwhile melt a knob of butter in a large pan. Add the sage leaves and cook for a few seconds until they have deepened in colour. Stir in the garlic, then the shiitake mushroom. Cook shaking the pan occasionally until the mushrooms are edged with gold.
4. Cook the gnocchi according to the packet instructions and toss with the mushrooms and butternut squash. Serve with Parmesan.
Cook's tip: To make crispy sage leaves scatter these over the dish just before serving. Melt a large dollop of butter in a small pan (at least 1mm deep) and drop a few whole sage leaves. Cook until their colour turns bright and the edges begin to brown. Fish out the sage and leave to cool on kitchen paper.