Double the recipe to make two pizzas, then freeze one of the pizza bases or freeze a constructed pizza ready to pop in the oven later that week.
Makes 1 pizza
For the tomato sauce: (make this up in advance or use passata if in a rush)
* 3 garlic cloves, or diced
* 1 tbsp ghee
* 12 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
* 2 tsp dried oregano or
* 1 tbsp fresh oregano leaves
* sea salt and black pepper
* 1 fresh or dried chilli, finely sliced or chopped (optional)
For the pizza base:
* 140g cauliflower (about ¼of a head without the stalk)
* 1 egg white, beaten
* 50g ground almonds
* 40g buckwheat flour
* ½ tsp sea salt
* ½ tsp black pepper
* ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1. Preheat the oven to fan 190°C/Gas mark 6. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and lightly grease with butter, ghee or coconut oil.
2. To make the tomato sauce, gently heat the ghee in a pan over a medium heat and fry the garlic for one minute, then add the chopped tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper and a little chilli.
3. Cook the tomatoes down to a thick sauce over a medium heat, with the lid off, which will take about 15 minutes, then mash the tomatoes with your spatula or blend to a paste if you like things less rustic.
4. While the sauce is cooking, grate the cauliflower into rice-sized pieces using a hand grater or food processor.
5. Put all of the pizza base ingredients into a bowl and mix well with a spoon, or add to the food processor and blend, to form a sticky dough.
6. Spread the dough out with the back of the spoon on the prepared tray, shaping it into a 30cm diameter.
7. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, flipping it over after 15 minutes to cook the underside.
8. Choose your pizza topping from the options below and cook as instructed.
9. Serve the pizza with a big green salad and some fresh pesto drizzled on top.
Parma ham and rocket: spread the tomato sauce over the base of the pizza with the back of a spoon. If you’ve made the sauce in advance and it’s cold, rebake the tomato-topped pizza for five minutes before adding the toppings. Top with four slices of Parma ham torn into small pieces, two handfuls of rocket and some parmesan shavings. Add chilli flakes, if you like.
Tomato and mozarella: pull apart one medium mozzarella ball into small pieces and arrange over the base of the pizza. Slice two handfuls of fresh tomatoes into 1cm-thick slices (a mixture of colours looks good) and arrange over the pizza. Add chilli flakes, if desired. Bake for 10 –15 minutes until the mozzarella is melted and bubbling.
More from Hemsley & Hemsley:
Extracted from The Art of Eating Well by Jasmine and Melissa Hemsley (Ebury Press, £25).