* 1/3 small head of Chinese leaves, thinly sliced bunch of watercress
* large handful of spinach leaves, sliced, or young leaf spinach
* 200g/7oz beansprouts
* 85g/3oz mange-tout peas, cut into strips lengthwise
* 4 spring onions, cut into strips
* 85g/3oz skinned shelled peanuts, dry-roasted in a pan and crushed
* small handful of fresh mint
* small handful of sweet basil leaves
For the dressing:
* 2 tbsp oil
* 3 garlic cloves, sliced
* 2 tbsp lime juice
* 2 tbsp light soy sauce
* 1 dsp brown sugar or honey
* 2 red chillies, thinly sliced
1. Mix the Chinese leaves, watercress, spinach, beansprouts and mange-touts in a bowl.
2. Make the dressing: in a heavy-based pan heat the oil and fry the garlic until brown and crunchy.
3. Remove the pan from heat and add the lime juice, soy sauce, brown sugar or honey and the chillies. Stir until all ingredients are combined.
4. Allow to cool slightly, then pour over the salad. Finally, sprinkle the spring onions, peanuts and herbs on top.
More recipes from World Food Café:
Chickpea, date and pine nut pilau
Apple, date and cinnamon cake
Extracted from World Food Café: Vegetarian Bible by Chris and Carolyn Caldicott, published Frances Lincoln, £20