Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 1 1⁄4 hours
Per serving: 615 cals, 48.9g fat, 6.4g sat fat, 5.5g total sugars, 0.9g salt
* 1.7kg chicken, skin removed
* 1 tbsp vegetable oil
* 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
* 1 tbsp medium curry powder, plus a pinch to garnish
* 1 tsp tomato purée
* 150ml red wine
* 1 dried bay leaf
* Juice of 1⁄2 lemon
* 50g dried, ready-to-eat apricots, chopped
* 300ml mayonnaise
* 3 tbsp single cream, lightly whipped
* 1 x 75g bag Sainsbury’s watercress
* 25g toasted flaked almonds
1. Place the chicken in a large saucepan and cover with water. Simmer over a low heat for 1 1⁄4 hours, until cooked. Carefully remove the chicken and leave to cool.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan, then add the onion and soften for 3–4 minutes. Stir through the curry powder and cook for a further 1–2 minutes. Add the tomato purée, wine, bay leaf, lemon juice, apricots and 100ml cold water. Bring to the boil, then gently simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes until thickened. Place in a food processor, add 3 tbsp cold water and blend until smooth. Leave to cool.
3. Tear the chicken from the bones and place in a large bowl. In another bowl, mix together the curry purée, mayonnaise and whipped cream. Fold through the chicken until well coated.
4. Serve the chicken on a bed of watercress, garnished with flaked almonds and a sprinkle of curry powder.
* Cook Britain by Sainsbury’s is available in store and online now, £8