Preparation time: 25 mins, plus infusing, chilling and soaking time
Cooking time: 20 mins
Per serving: 714 cals, 52.4g fat, 29.7g sat fat, 38.1g total sugars, 0.2g salt
* 6 medium egg yolks
* 50g caster sugar
* 2 tbsp cornflour
* 900ml double cream
* 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways and seeds scraped out
* 150g each blueberries, blackberries, small strawberries and raspberries
* 50g icing sugar
* 6 tbsp cherry brandy
* 1 x 365g Sainsbury’s strawberry & vanilla jumbo Swiss roll
* 80g amaretti biscuits
1. First, make the custard. In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until really thick and pale, then stir in the cornflour.
2. Heat 600ml cream in a pan until nearly boiling. Remove from the heat, then add the vanilla seeds and pod, cover and leave to infuse for 15 minutes.
3. Remove the vanilla pod and reheat the cream to boiling point, then strain into the egg mixture, whisking as you pour. Tip into a clean pan and stir with a wooden spoon over a gentle heat for 5–10 minutes, until thickened, then remove from the heat. Transfer to a bowl and cover with cling-film to prevent a skin forming. Set aside to cool completely, then pop into the fridge to chill, preferably overnight.
4. Place the blueberries, blackberries, strawberries and just over half the raspberries in a large bowl. Sprinkle over the icing sugar and cherry brandy and leave to soak for about 1 hour.
5. Thinly slice the Swiss roll and place in the bottom and around the sides of a 2.5-litre glass serving bowl. Spoon over the fruit and juices. Roughly crush the amaretti biscuits and scatter over the fruit, reserving about 10g to decorate. Spoon the custard over the top in an even layer.
6. Whip the remaining 300ml cream until soft peaks form, then spoon on top of the trifle. Decorate with the reserved raspberries and crushed amaretti biscuits. Chill for at least 1 hour, or overnight if you have time. Remove from the fridge 30 minutes before serving.
* Cook Britain by Sainsbury’s is available in store and online now, £8