* 2 very ripe, large avocados
* 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
* a good squeeze of lime juice, or more to taste
* 3–5 tablespoons runny honey (or use agave syrup)
For the honeyed strawberries
* 200g strawberries, halved or thickly sliced
* 1 tablespoon runny honey
* a good squeeze of lemon or lime juice
1. Combine the strawberries with the honey and lemon or lime juice (don’t worry if the honey doesn’t seem to combine too easily at first). Cover and leave for 20–30 minutes then, once the juices are starting to seep out of the berries, stir again and set aside until ready to serve.
2. Meanwhile, to make the mousse, halve the avocados, remove the stones and peel, then put the flesh into a food processor.
3. Add the cocoa powder, a good squeeze of lime juice and three tablespoons of honey. Process to a velvety, thick purée, then taste and add more honey or lime juice as you like.
4. Scoop the mousse into small serving dishes, cover and chill for an hour or so. Serve with the honeyed strawberries and their juices spooned on top.
More from River Cottage:
Extract taken from River Cottage Light & Easy, by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, published by Bloomsbury, £25.00, Hardback. Photography © Simon Wheeler