* 80g butter
* 100g kale leaves, shredded
* 1medium butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeds removed, and flesh grated
* sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 2 eggs
* 4 egg yolks
* 250g mascarpone
* 100ml double cream
* 70g cheddar cheese,grated
* 100g parmesan cheese, finely grated
* 1 blind-baked 20cm x 5-7cm shortcrust tart case
1. Preheat the oven to 140°C/ gas 1. Melt the butter in a medium pan, add the kale and cook for two minutes, stirring constantly.
2. Increase the heat, add the grated butternut squash and continue to cook for two to three minutes, until the vegetables are just slightly softened. Taste and season accordingly, then take the pan from the heat and turn the mixture into a bowl or on to a plate to cool.
3. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs, yolks, mascarpone and cream for a few seconds, then add the cheddar and parmesan.
4. Drain any excess moisture from the kale and squash mixture, season again to taste, and mix lightly.
5. Spoon into the prepared pastry case and smooth level with the back of the spoon.
6. Put into the preheated oven and bake for about 40 minutes, or until the top of the tart is golden and the mixture is fully cooked - to check, insert a metal skewer into the centre, and if it doesn't smear, the tart is done.
More recipes from Daylesford:
Dark and white chocolate brownies
Extracted from A Love for Food: recipes and notes for cooking and eating well by Daylesford, published by 4th Estate, price £30.