Prep: 15 mins, plus cooling.
Cooking time: 1 hr 20 mins
* 75g uncooked spelt
* 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for greasing
* 300g blueberries
* 225g rolled oats
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
* 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
* pinch of salt
* 2 large eggs
* 500ml whole milk or almond milk
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* 3 tbsp maple syrup
* 2 tbsp mixed seeds, such as pumpkin, chia, and sunflower seeds
1. Place the spelt in a lidded saucepan, cover with 500ml of water, and bring to the boil. Then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 45 minutes, until most of the water has been absorbed.
2. Remove from the heat, drain any remaining water, and rinse well under running water. Set aside to dry.
3. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Grease a 20 x 25cm (8 x 10in ) baking dish with a little oil. Spread out the blueberries in an even layer at the bottom of the dish.
4. Place the oats, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl. Add the spelt and mix until well combined.
5. Place the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, maple syrup, and oil in a separate bowl and whisk to combine.
6. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Spoon the mixture over the blueberries and spread it out in an even layer. Top with a layer of the mixed seeds and place in the oven. Bake for 30–35 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the oats are cooked.
7. Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly. Serve warm.
More from Grains as mains:
Grains as Mains, by Laura Agar Wilson, published by DK, £16.99, www.dk.com