* 100g whole blanched almonds
* 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
* 100g sprouting broccoli, thoroughly washed
* 1 small dried chilli, crushed
* 1 small garlic clove, peeled
* ½ small unwaxed lemon or
* ½ preserved lemon, very thinly sliced
* freshly ground black pepper
1. Pan-fry the almonds for a couple of minutes in one tablespoon of olive oil until golden. Remove from the oil, roughly crush them and set them aside.
2. Blanch the well-washed broccoli in boiling salted water for about five minutes until tender.
3. Drain and refresh under cold water to help keep the colour and crispness. Drain thoroughly.
4. Heat a large frying pan with one tablespoon of olive oil. Add the chilli and garlic and when they start to bubble, add the broccoli. Keep moving the pan so the broccoli doesn’t burn or stick. Add the lemon and remaining olive oil and heat through.
5. Add the crushed almonds and remove from the heat. Season with a generous pinch of salt and some black pepper. This is good served hot or cold.
More from Carina Contini’s Kitchen Garden Cookbook: Carina Contini’s Kitchen Garden Cookbook: A Year of Italian Scots Recipes by Carina Contini. Published by Frances Lincoln, £25.