* 1 oven ready turkey (5kg/11lb)
* 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
* 100ml red wine
* 75g butter
* seasonal vegetables, to serve
* 100g button mushrooms
* 1 onion, chopped
* 1 garlic clove, chopped
* 85g butter
* 100g fresh breadcrumbs
* 2tbsp finely chopped fresh sage
* 1tbsp lemon juice
* salt and pepper
Port & cranberry sauce
* 100g sugar
* 250ml port
* 175g fresh cranberries
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
2. To make the stuffing, clean and chop the mushrooms, put them in a saucepan with the onion, garlic and butter and cook for minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the breadcrumbs, finely chopped sage, lemon juice and salt and pepper.
3. Rinse the turkey and pat dry with kitchen paper, then fill the neck end with the stuffing and truss with string.
4. Place the turkey in a roasting tin. Rub the garlic over the bird and pour the wine over. Add the butter and roast in the oven for 30 minutes. Baste, then reduce the temperature to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and roast for a further 40 minutes.
5. Baste again and cover with foil. Roast for a further two hours, basting regularly.
6. Check that the turkey is cooked by inserting a knife between the legs and body. If the juices run clear, it is cooked.
7. Remove from the oven, cover with foil and leave to stand for 25 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, put the sugar, port and cranberries in a saucepan and heat over a medium heat until almost boiling.
9. Serve the turkey with seasonal vegetables and the port and cranberry sauce.
Brussels sprouts with chestnuts
*350g/12oz Brussels sprouts, trimmed
*3 tbsp butter
*100g canned whole chestnuts
*pinch of grated nutmeg
*salt and pepper
*flaked almonds, to garnish
1. Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook for five minutes. Drain thoroughly.
2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring, for three minutes, then add the chestnuts and nutmeg.
3. Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir well. Cook for a further two minutes, stirring, then remove from the heat.
4. Transfer to a serving dish, scatter over the almonds and serve.
- Recipe adapted from A Year Full Of Recipes, £25. Visit www.parragon.com/lovefood